Friday, January 23, 2009

Challenges that face single women

According to Blumstein and Schwartz (1983), a displaced homemaker is one who is suddenly made vulnerable by divorce or widowhood and found herself unprepared to provide for her income. In addition, some women postpone marriage to complete their education and focus on their careers, and when they approach their 30's experience the "ticking of the biological clock", and find that there are few single men available to become possible marriage partner (Wedding & Stuber, p.52).

Interestingly, both of these scenarios are all to familiar. Not only have several friends fit into both of these categories, yet I too would qualify. Though I was married, it wasn't until age 29 that I gave birth to my first child. This was not out of the norm, as many of my colleagues choose the same path. One person in particular comes to mind as I recall our conversations of her frustration because most of the men her age were married.

After working for many years in my given profession, my spouse and I agreed that it would be in the best interests of the family that I give up my position and career advancement opportunities so that he could take a ex-patriot offer from his employer. Our family (two children 8 and 11 at the time), moved overseas, and subsequently made several moves all for the purpose of his career advancement. Due to my strong beliefs and faith in our marriage this was an easy choice. After 12 years together and divorce lurking around the corner (never imagined possible), the displaced homemaker title befell me, as it had been several years since I worked outside the home (with the exception of volunteering and a few business ventures). Upon my return to the workforce, it was evident that with childcare costs, low salary, no retirement, and no parents (both deceased at that time) or siblings nearby to help with the children, it was without question that it was a necessity to further my education and focus on my career. That was in 2003....and today I am still on the path of the goal that was set then. Age and lack of available time contribute to the sense of discouragement I experience about dating and the possibility of marriage in my future. Though this is something I would like, the statistics alone are less than encouraging. Perhaps the right person, the right age :), at the right time....God only knows.

2 comments:

  1. You have traveled down a path of incredible growth. I can understand a sense of discouragement - but look how far you've come already! You have the heart and determination of real courage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a kind thing to say, thank you for the encouragement.

    ReplyDelete